Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Has anyone ever gotten an ingrown toe nail removed?

How bad does it hurt to get removed?Has anyone ever gotten an ingrown toe nail removed?
It is common for people to get ingrown toenail(s). Any procedure done to the body usually will cause some discomfort after the numbing agent has worn off. Try reading up on ingrown toenails.





Ingrown toenail, or onychocryptosis, is a commonly encountered problem in family practice. Patients usually present with pain in the affected nail but with progression, drainage, infection, and difficulty walking occur. Most patients present with ingrown toenail during the second and third decades of life, but teenagers often develop ingrown toenails after tearing the corners of their toenails.





The cure for an ingrown toenail usually involves numbing the toe with a local anesthetic such a lidocaine or novocaine. The toe will be completely numb by the anesthetic, and there will absolutely no pain during the procedure. Then approximately an 1/8 inch section of the nail plate will be removed from the painful corner. If an infection is present, it will be treated at the same time. If the root is not treated, then the abnormally growing nail plate will grow back in the same place and cause a similar problem again within a few months.





After treatment a small dressing is placed on the toe and a regular shoe can be worn. Some people prefer to wear a wider shoe, tennis shoe, or an open sandal. The foot is soaked in warm water and the dressing is changed at home the following dayHas anyone ever gotten an ingrown toe nail removed?
Antibiotic ointment is applied, a bulky gauze dressing is placed, and the patient's foot is put in a disposable surgical slipper. The patient should apply antibiotic ointment daily until healing is complete. The patient should be given the instruction sheet and told to take ibuprofen (Motrin) and acetaminophen (Tylenol) for postoperative pain. Daily cleansing with warm water is encouraged, and strenuous exercise is discouraged for at least one week.








I will give you a web site below to read up on.


If its your toe, hope it feels better soon!!
A lot less than the ingrown nail did. I think he sprayed it with something first, but I was flat on my back at the time and really couldn't see too much.
I've had them removed plenty. Honestly, it hurts really bad (to me). Each time the pain was different (probably because of different doctors) but still hurt all the same. If you are going to have this done (and you should, if needed, because if infection sets in it will hurt alot worse) talk to your doctor about prescription meds to take at home for pain (because alot of them want to just send you home with over the counter pills and I promise you won't be able to sleep at night).
I had my big toenail and the nail next to it removed from both feet. I had it done by a plastic surgeon and the result was good. They freeze your toes with needles at the base of the toes ( a nerve block). I would take a couple tylenol 3 about 20 minutes before going in because the needles hurt - they're going after the main nerves. The surgery doesn't hurt, but when the freezing starts to wear off, the pain comes fast and furious. Every nerve ending is screaming bloody murder! I would advise a narcotic, even though I was told that tylenol would be enough! Morphine is the only way I got through the first 2 days. By day 2 you start soaking it in salt water and this speeds up the healing. Really, it's 2 days of tough pain, and you can't move around any more than to go to the bathroom, or it will be hard to get the bleeding to stop once and for all. Make sure you have someone to help you around the house, make meals, etc. I only had my 6 yr old at home, and a few friends who came by to take my daughter out for a while so she wouldn't be overwhelmed by seeing me in such pain, and to help out for an hour or two. Now my toes are painfree and I'm glad I did it and it's over.
I had surgery on both my big toenails, both with very bad long-term infection (';long-term'; as in a few years' worth), just after graduating high school in 1996. I was nervous enough almost to throw up. The podiatrist was great--he told me he'd already performed the operation on a few of his grandkids. He used topical anesthetic to numb the area, then a few injections to totally numb each big toe inside and out. The injections pinched a bit, but honestly the worst part was my own nervousness. After the pinch of the injections, there was absolutely no pain at any point during the surgery or the recovery--the doctor waited for the injected anesthetic to set in, and then carefully tested all areas of each toe to make absolutely sure there would be no pain. The sense of pressure and movement in the numbed toes as the doctor removed lots of necrotic tissue and a large portion of one nail bed was highly disturbing, but as I said, I never felt any pain of any sort, not even any more pinching. I lay on my back and forced myself to focus on the magazine I'd brought from the waiting room, keeping it propped on my belly to block sight of my feet. Earphones are also a good idea if you're worried about sounds. After the operation, my toes were wrapped in huge amounts of gauze that was taped to my feet, and I had special slippers to wear instead of shoes. I went with my mom from the doctor's office to the mall, where I walked (hobbled) inside under my own power and sat in the food court for lunch. It was awkward walking with the gauze, but never painful. I had a solution to mix up and douse the gauze three times a day, to prevent infection and aid healing--maybe it also contained anesthetic. After some days, I returned to the doctor and he removed the thick gauze and replaced it with lighter wrappings, saying everything was healing very well. And eventually the gauze was removed entirely, and healing was complete. And, like I said, I never once had any pain, whether during the operation or after. Never needed any painkillers (and I'm a whimp when it comes to pain from any kind of surgery). To this day, I'd rather go through that whole operation and recovery again than go to the dentist for a routine tooth-cleaning.
my husband did. the injections to numb the area was painful but the removal wasn't. his grew back. good luck
  • applying make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment